Sunday, November 14, 2010

R2D2: Decorating Star Wars style with a Star Tip!

My parents have had this R2D2-shaped cake pan since the early 80s, and used it to make pink and blue robotic cakes for my brother and sister before I was even born.  I discovered it in their basement 2 years ago and made a neon 80's Christmas version of R2 for a vegan holiday party.




I decorated this cake using a #21 star tip for both the stars and the puffy lines that you see.  Initially I piped an outline of the design with a #3 tip, and filled it in with stars.  This decorating technique is easy for covering a surface area with various colors, while still maintaining a detailed look.  
#21 Star Tip

#3 Writing Tip

Tips for using shaped pans: oil these pans liberally with a spray oil or with a product such as Crisco or Wilton Cake Release.  This product is a little pricey, but if you're only making a few cakes at home, it's a worthy investment to save your cakes from sticking in the pan!

No comments:

Post a Comment