Sunday, November 14, 2010

Barbie and Buttercream Roses

A great way to make your cake go from basic-looking to fancy and complicated is to include flowers made from the same frosting you use to ice your cake**.  This Barbie themed birthday cake was a special request for Alice and David's daughter, Chaya.  



I made the roses and leaves with buttercream frosting.  You'll need 3 different tips to make a rose out of frosting: 

#12 tip to make base/center of rose

#103 tip makes the petals of the rose

#67 tip is the leaf tip


For a detailed guide to the method for making roses, check out Wilton's step-by-step tutorial or video.  It takes practice, but I promise it's easier than it looks!

**A side note: I include several links to Wilton's tutorials since I learned several techniques from Wilton classes and find their website helpful.  However, some of their recipes call for meringue powder, which is made from eggs and not vegan.  I simply omit this ingredient and my frosting still comes out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment